Author Archives: Andrew Call

Game Changers: Scott Nagy and Katrina Merriweather

Scott Nagy Consider how much a college basketball coach must love a university to stay there 21 years. Then consider how compelling the reasons would need to be for him to leave that university behind. “I can’t imagine what it was … Continue reading

Growing into Stardom

It had been a rough day for the smallest kid at Greg Lovelady’s baseball camp. Wright State’s baseball coach was a little worried about the 14-year-old catcher. He demonstrated an impressive grasp of catching fundamentals, but stood just 5-foot-7 and 145 … Continue reading

Scoring star Lynch has Raiders talking title

Eric Lynch learned early that he might be particularly gifted at soccer—very early. “The first time I played competitive soccer was in a rec league when I was 4 years old,” Lynch recalled. “I can’t say I was in love … Continue reading

Raiders’ Scott born to golf

To say Nick Scott was born with a golf club in his hand would not be entirely accurate. To say he had a club in his hand soon afterward would not be far off. “We had a mat and net … Continue reading

AlumNotes

Send us your notes Email your news items to alumni_news@wright.edu and they will appear here and/or on the web version of the magazine at wright.edu/magazine 2014 Mitchell Bailey (M.P.A.), chief of staff Office of the President at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, … Continue reading

Alumni News

Alumni Awards Each fall during Homecoming weekend, the Wright State University Alumni Association recognizes and celebrates the accomplishments of Wright State alumni. The outstanding alumni, who are selected from a pool of more than 100,000 Wright State alumni, are recognized … Continue reading

Basketball Previews

Women’s Basketball The taste of success the Raiders enjoyed last year has left them hungry for more. Wright State (26-9) played its way into the NCAA Tournament, finishing second in the Horizon League’s regular season standings before beating UW-Green Bay … Continue reading

Building Bridges

L. Tony Ortiz helped build one of Wright State University’s most successful academic programs. Today, however, he’s all about building bridges. The university’s new associate vice president for Latino affairs helped organize leaders from various Dayton-area Latino organizations into the … Continue reading

Athletics: Spring Sports Features

Fowler Focused on Team Success Mark Fowler has learned it’s not all about him. “Part of the maturing process for me has been to shift my focus from stats and scouts to having a great senior year,” Fowler said. “I … Continue reading

Multiuse classroom building to be added at Wright State

The 67,000-square-foot, $14.3 million facility is expected to open sometime during the spring 2015 semester… Continue reading