Author Archives: Wright State Media Team

From The President

Greetings! Welcome to this issue of the Wright State University Magazine. I must first begin by saying that this is no ordinary issue of the magazine. This special commemorative issue celebrates an incredibly important milestone in our history—Wright State University’s … Continue reading

The Birth of Wright State

Ohio Gov. James Rhodes’s efforts in the early 1960s to place public higher education facilities within 30 miles of every Ohioan led to the birth of Wright State University. At the time, Dayton was a high-technology center with a special … Continue reading

Proud to Wear the Green and Gold

My grandfather was born “on campus” on June 29, 1895, in the original Rockafield House, which his parents rented from Mr. Rockafield. My grandfather owned land on both sides of Airway Road (now Colonel Glenn Highway), mostly on the south … Continue reading

Difference Makers

In 1970, Wright State was one of the first schools to create an Office of Disability Services. That was three years before Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act required any university receiving federal money to make its programs accessible to persons … Continue reading

Opportunities in the Forest

“Trees, lots of trees.” That was my first impression of Wright State University. On a Sunday afternoon in the spring of 1973, my mother took me for a ride to see the little university I had only heard about from … Continue reading

It’s Hard to Beat a Life in the Academy

As I often say, I was on campus the first day Wright State held classes, but I did not become a student myself until 1969. I didn’t want to quit my quite good day job at Dayton Power and Light … Continue reading

Class Notes

2016 Taylor Floyd (B.S.) started the Ph.D. program in neuroscience at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City. 2015 Tyler Chilton (B.S.B.) works as an assistant language teacher in Japan’s Niigata Prefecture on the island of Honshu on the … Continue reading

Under the Spotlight

To Phish fans, the band’s concert at Wright State University’s Nutter Center on December 7, 1997, is legendary. Many of the band’s most loyal followers believe that Phish played one of the greatest first sets in their 34-year career on … Continue reading

Rowdy Raider and Wright State Athletics

Rowdy Raider hasn’t always been the gray and white wolf we know today. The Wright State mascot has gone through several iterations since the university started playing varsity basketball in 1970. A 1971 student contest determined that Wright State’s colors … Continue reading

Brick and Mortar: The Campus(es)

The Western Ohio Educational Foundation (WOEF) organized the first courses for what would eventually become the Wright State University–Lake Campus in 1962. Classes were initially held in a local high school, but as interest in the college continued to build, … Continue reading