Author Archives: Kim Patton

From Wright State to Hollywood

Even though he’s collaborated with such Hollywood A-listers as Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Brian Grazer, and Ron Howard, Erik Bork didn’t always dream of making movies. “When I was in high school, I started gravitating toward the creative arts of some … Continue reading

Helping Students Succeed

Shirley Berry credits her alma mater, Wright State University, with giving her the best start in life and setting her on the path to future success. “I am who I am today as a result of all of the experiences I … Continue reading

A Wonderful Life

For Ron Amos, Wright State University reminds him of the 1946 Frank Capra classic, It’s a Wonderful Life. Just as Jimmy Stewart’s iconic character, George Bailey, finds out what life would have been like had he never been born, Ron … Continue reading

A Work in Progress

When Eddie McClintock was a student at Wright State University in the late ’80s and early ’90s, becoming a successful Hollywood actor was about the furthest thing from his mind. “I was not a great student. I didn’t know what … Continue reading

Keeping the Spirit of Innovation Alive

We know them as the inventors of the airplane and namesakes for Wright State University. But to Amanda Wright Lane, Orville and Wilbur Wright are so much more than two of the greatest innovators who ever lived. They are family. … Continue reading

Wright State Launches $150 Million Campaign

Our namesakes, the Wright brothers, used ingenuity and innovation to make a lasting impact on the world. Today, we rise on their wings, prepared to shine, as we lift our university to new heights. Ahead, we see a bright future, … Continue reading

Helping Future Generations Shine

Ron Bullock has come a long way since his Wright State graduation, when he and his late wife, Kelly, lived in a small, one-bedroom apartment on Smithville Road. Today, Bullock is a successful business owner who just made one of … Continue reading

Helping Students Find Their Passions

Dale True (’76) didn’t have to look far to find one of his great passions in life; he discovered it as a child watching birds. But it took a couple decades and an adult’s foresight for him to see how his study … Continue reading

A Daughter’s Love

“To my father who taught me belief in education of the mind and to my mother who showed me how with heart and soul.”  So read the dedication of Nelda “Nel” Martinez’s doctoral dissertation. While the words may be few, … Continue reading

Samantha Laux: Forever in Our Hearts

They were always a welcome sight on the Wright State campus. Beautiful, dark-haired Samantha Laux and her adorable Golden Retriever service dog, Dylan. They left a permanent handprint—and pawprint—on the hearts of everyone they met. “She pulled me out of … Continue reading