Issue: Winter 2017

From Wright State to Hollywood

Even though he’s collaborated with such Hollywood A-listers as Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Brian Grazer, and Ron Howard, Erik Bork didn’t always dream of making movies. “When I was in high school, I started gravitating toward the creative arts of some … Continue reading

Collection Companions

Contributed by Timothy R. Gaffney, National Aviation Heritage Alliance Pulitzer Prize-winning author David McCullough returned to Wright State University just as actor-filmmaker Tom Hanks was making his campus visit, joining him to examine artifacts that are part of the university’s Wright … Continue reading

Hanks for the Memories

Tom Hanks David Hopkins

Tom Hanks of Forrest Gump/Saving Private Ryan fame was on campus, and excitement was at a fever pitch. Nearly 2,000 students, faculty, and staff had amassed outside Wright State University’s Tom Hanks Center for Motion Pictures on April 19 to catch … Continue reading

Going Places

Sleeping in the Sahara Desert, teaching in China, and witnessing political violence in Jerusalem were just stops along the way for Tasha Fox, a Wright State University M.B.A. student who turned her undergraduate career into a priceless lesson in world geography … Continue reading

From the President’s Desk

David R. Hopkins, Cathy Wolfe

Welcome to this issue of Wright State University Magazine. 2016 was a banner year in the history of Wright State University. In April, we welcomed Academy Award–winning actor, producer, and director Tom Hanks to campus. A longtime supporter of our … Continue reading

Flight Test

The chance to participate in an official NASA mission at the Johnson Space Center in Houston was a “dream come true” for 2015 Wright State University graduate Emmanuel Urquieta. Urquieta, who earned a master’s degree in aerospace medicine from the Wright … Continue reading

A Wonderful Life

For Ron Amos, Wright State University reminds him of the 1946 Frank Capra classic, It’s a Wonderful Life. Just as Jimmy Stewart’s iconic character, George Bailey, finds out what life would have been like had he never been born, Ron … Continue reading

Helping Students Succeed

Shirley Berry credits her alma mater, Wright State University, with giving her the best start in life and setting her on the path to future success. “I am who I am today as a result of all of the experiences I … Continue reading

Circuit Judge

Watch Video: https://youtu.be/74FYmi9MpTA He’s a Wright State University electrical engineering student, a ham radio operator, and the founder of his own electronics company. But it’s Jeremy Hong’s digital sunglasses, whose colorful LED lights gyrate to dance music, that really get your … Continue reading

Alumni News

Award-winning author Ann Weisgarber, ’76, received the 2016 Alumna of the Year Award. Weisgarber’s first novel, The Personal History of Rachel DuPree, is set in the South Dakota Badlands. The book won the Langum Prize in American Historical Fiction and … Continue reading