President’s Perspective—Oct. 2013

Photo of David R. Hopkins

Wright State University President David R. Hopkins

It’s my favorite time of year! I always enjoy seeing our students and faculty return to campus and welcoming our incoming class of students—the newest members of the Wright State University family! I’d like to thank everyone who helped with yet another successful Move-In Day. As I’ve said before, we roll out the welcome wagon better than anyone else!

This is also the time of year when we recognize our outstanding faculty and staff with the President’s Awards for Excellence. My heartfelt congratulations to all of this year’s recipients and nominees. As we honor your exceptional service to this university, I’d like to take this opportunity to say how much I value and appreciate the work of each and every member of the Wright State family. We would not be where we are today without your constant dedication and commitment to our students and community.

As we kick off the 2013–2014 academic year, you will soon begin noticing some dramatic transformations in the landscape of the Dayton campus. We have already broken ground on the Neuroscience Engineering Collaboration Building—the first of its kind in the country—and construction of our new classroom building and Student Academic Success Center will soon be underway.

Raider Connect has now reopened in its new location in the Student Union, welcoming our students and their families to campus and providing a one-stop shop for the registrar, bursar, and financial aid. Design is about to begin on the renovation and modernization of the Creative Arts Center. Our students in the visual and performing arts will soon have a state-of-the-art facility in which their talents can truly shine.

All of these improvements will give Wright State world-class facilities to help us attract and retain topnotch students, faculty, and staff. Just as our students deserve to be taught by faculty who are the best in the fields, they should also learn in cutting-edge facilities that offer the latest technology and equipment for groundbreaking discoveries in research and never-to-be-forgotten performances in the arts.

As always, I look forward to working with each of you in this new academic year. Here’s to another great year!