The annual Wright State University ArtsGala, which has raised more than $1.6 million for arts scholarships during its 14-year history, is set for Saturday, April 12, with an impressive program featuring student performances in theatre, dance, motion pictures, music and visual arts.
The event will showcase the efforts of Wright State fine and performing arts students and educators who have been recognized for their achievement by Academy Award–winning actor and Wright State supporter Tom Hanks in a series of commercials that ran in the Dayton area.
“Wright State is training the artists of tomorrow. I know because I’ve worked with some of Wright State’s alumni, and they’re among the best in their fields,” said Hanks in the commercial. “Wright State not only has one of the most outstanding arts programs in Ohio, but one of the best in the entire nation.”
The 6:30 p.m. to midnight event in the Creative Arts Center is presented by the College of Liberal Arts. The popular black-tie-optional ArtsGala is regarded as one of the area’s premier events drawing over 600 patrons each year.
“We are so excited about this ArtsGala, coming off of the huge record breaking success of the previous year. Our students are so eager to showcase their tremendous skills, and we are pleased to be sharing our expertise and talent with the broader community. This ArtsGala launches us into our huge Creative Arts Center modernization and expansion project. So come experience history—the last time you will see the CAC the way it used to be—and share in our student’s excitement and success.” said Kristin Sobolik, Ph.D., dean of the College of Liberal Arts.
Features this year include:
- Opening Wind Symphony, featuring Stars and Stripes Forever
- Selections from our spring musical, Les Misérables
- Multiple dance floors for students and guests
- Live artistic creation by student artists
- Student film festival
- Chamber orchestra and dance performance
- Cigar and sports tent
- Top-quality wine tasting
- Bourbon tasting and martini lounge (new this year)
A silent auction will offer over 100 items for bidding, including:
- Artwork by Wright State faculty, students and alumni
- Wide variety of wines
- Assortment of luxury gift baskets, gift cards and dining certificates
- Wright State Arts Entertainment Package, including tickets to many theatre and music department performances.
ArtsGala tickets ($200 each) and information are available at (937) 775-5512 or http://www.wright.edu/artsgala.