In these tough economic times, many families find themselves struggling to provide their children with sufficient school supplies.
We Serve U, a committee of Wright State employees, has organized a three-week-long school supply drive to give local elementary students the tools for academic success.
Through August 13, Wright State will be collecting school supplies for to Westwood PreK–8 in Dayton. From backpacks and binders to pencils and protractors, We Serve U is accepting school supplies of all varieties in the designated collection barrels scattered throughout campus.
The locations for collection barrels are as follows:
- In the Student Union, near the Admissions Office and the vending machines by Campus Recreation
- In the basement of the Joshi Research Center, by the vending machines
- In the lobby of the Russ Engineering Center
- Outside of the Human Resources Office in Medical Science
- In Room 108 (Communications and Marketing) of Allyn Hall
- In the Atrium of Millett Hall, near the Multicultural Centers
- In the basement of Fawcett Hall, near the vending machines
- On the first floor of University Hall, near the elevators
- In the Dunbar Library, near Room 126
- In the Athletics Office lobby, in the Nutter Center
We Serve U also accepts cash. All monetary donations will be spent on backpacks—the school supply Westwood students need the most and, not coincidentally, the most expensive. For bulk donations and money contributions, contact Shirley Barber at (937) 775-3926.
Located in a low-income Dayton neighborhood, Westwood PreK–8 has partnered with Wright State to provide its students with a better quality education. For over five years, Wright State students have visited to Westwood to tutor and volunteer—often as part of service learning projects.