Wright State University’s School of Nursing, Kinesiology and Health Sciences celebrated the accomplishments of the 2023 Cameos of Caring award recipients at a banquet on Oct. 26 at the Dayton Masonic Center.
Donna Curry, Ph.D., professor emeritus of nursing, gave the keynote address.
Cameos of Caring honors Miami Valley nurses who have gone above and beyond in providing direct patient care. The idea for the event was established by the University of Pittsburgh and was adopted by Wright State in 2001 by Patricia Martin, Ph.D., dean emeritus of the School of Nursing.
“When we celebrate people in the nursing profession, it is often high-level nurse executives creating change or high-ranking academicians bringing in grant funding,” said Marty Sexton, Ph.D., associate dean of the College of Health, Education and Human Services. “However, this award is unique in that it celebrates the nurses who are involved in direct patient care. These unsung heroes of the profession embody the essence of nursing.”
This year, 12 nurses were recognized:
- Lori Brodehl, Atrium Medical Center
- Teanda Dolan, Mercy Health Urbana Hospital
- Kaitlyn Heffelfinger, Dayton Children’s Hospital
- Emillee Moeller, Kettering Health Dayton
- Megan Newland, Kettering Health Network Main Campus
- Charles Oduro, Upper Valley Medical Center
- Rachel Peterson, Mercy Health Springfield Regional Medical Center
- Kimberly Rogers, Fidelity Home Health
- Tabitha Tarter, Premier Physician Network
- Erin Taylor, Ohio’s Hospice of Dayton
- Kaylyn Textor, Miami Valley Hospital
- Timothy Yount, Kettering Health Medical Group
In addition to celebrating nursing professionals, Cameos of Caring has raised over $1 million in scholarship funds for Wright State nursing students.
Scholarship recipients are chosen by nursing faculty and advisors for both their academic ability and potential to become a future Cameo of Caring recipient. This year, four students will receive scholarships: Jenna Counts, Myles Graves, Ramneet Kaur and Savanna Reese.
Individuals can donate to the Cameos of Caring Scholarship online, by mail or in person. To make an online gift visit Wright State University Online Giving and search for the Cameos of Caring Scholarship fund.
Checks can be made payable to Wright State University and sent to the College of Health, Education and Human Services, 3640 Col. Glenn Hwy., 174 Millett Hall, Dayton, OH 45435, with “Cameos of Caring Scholarship” in the memo line.
For information about sustained and planned giving, contact Donna Braswell at firstname.lastname@example.org.